Happy new month lovelies, and Welcome to a new post 🙂Fire cider has been long touted as a folk remedy for generations, said to combat the flu and even the common cold among other things, including aiding digestion and boosting the immune system. ingredients can vary, as long as they are healthy and natural preferably ORGANIC and fresh, such as fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices of your choice. My mean reason for making FIRE-CIDER is because of digestive issues, the COLD, yes this cold ah! and to also boost my immune system not to mention a little help with this belly fat is much-needed #sigh.Nutrition facts are listed below, or you can skip that and scroll further down for the instruction on how to make your own homemade cider.DISCLAIMER: I am NOT under any circumstances claiming this will cure anything. I’m laying out a recipe that is both delicious and nutritious. I am also explaining some of the purported health benefits of the ingredients that go INTO MY recipe. GINGER ROOT:
- Support digestive health
- Eases inflammation by boosting a healthy immune response
- blocks bacterial infection
- improve brain function
- relieves joint and muscles pain & regulates blood sugar
- eases menstrual pains & protects against stomach ulcers
- helps treat nausea
TURMERIC:The main reason antioxidants are so beneficial is that they protect your body from free radicals. Free radicals tend to react with important organic substances, such as fatty acids, protein or DNA.
GARLIC:Scientists now know that most of its health benefits are caused by sulfur compounds formed when a garlic clove is chopped, crushed or chewed. Perhaps the most famous of those is known as allicin. However, allicin is an unstable compound that is only briefly present in fresh garlic after it’s been cut or crushed. Other compounds that may play a role in garlic’s health benefits include diallyl disulfide and s-allyl cysteine. The sulfur compounds from garlic enter the body from the digestive tract and travel all over the body, where it exerts its potent biological effects.
- contains compounds with potent medicinal properties
- highly nutritious 1-ounce (28-gram) serving of garlic contains (5):
- Manganese:23% of the RDA
- Vitamin B6:17% of the RDA
- Vitamin C:15% of the RDA
- Selenium:6% of the RDA
- Fiber:6 grams
- combat sickness including the common cold
- active compounds can reduce blood pressure
- Contains antioxidants.
CHILI PEPPER:Chili pepper contains an impressive list of plant derived chemical compounds that are known to have disease preventing and health promoting properties.Chili peppers have amazingly high levels of vitamins and minerals. Just 100 g provides (in % of recommended daily allowance):240% of vitamin-C (Ascorbic acid),39% of vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxine),32% of vitamin A,13% of iron,14% of copper,7% of potassium
- Chilies contain health benefiting an alkaloid compound, capsaicin, which gives them strong spicy, pungent character. capsaicin has anti-bacterial, anti-carcinogenic, analgesic and anti-diabetic properties.
- Fresh chili peppers, red and green, are a rich source of vitamin-C.100 g fresh chilies provide about 7 µg or about 240% of RDA. Vitamin-C is a potent water-soluble antioxidant. It is essential for the collagen synthesis inside the human body. Collagen is one of the main structural protein required for maintaining the integrity of blood vessels, skin, organs, and bones.
- other antioxidants such as vitamin-A, and flavonoids like β-carotene, α-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, and cryptoxanthin. These antioxidant substances in capsicum help protect the body from injurious effects of free radicals generated during stress, diseases conditions.
- Chilies carry a good amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, iron, and magnesium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
- Chilies are also good in the B-complex group of vitamins such as niacin, pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), riboflavin and thiamin (vitamin B-1). These vitamins are essential in the sense that the human body requires them from external sources to replenish.
LIME:Lime is a type of citrus fruit that is an excellent source of antioxidants. Antioxidants protect your body by preventing or stopping damage caused by free radicals, or chemicals that harm cells. Benefits include but not limited to:Limes are also a good source of:
- vitamins A, B, C, and D
- Rejuvenates skin: Limes contain vitamin C and flavonoids, the antioxidants that strengthen collagen. Drinking lime water can hydrate and rejuvenate your skin
- improves digestion: Drinking lime water improves digestion. Limes are acidic and they help saliva break down food for better digestion. Additionally, flavonoids in limes stimulate secretion of digestive juices
- Fights infections: Your risk of infection is higher during cold and flu season
- Another benefit of lime water is that it helps you manage your weight. Citric acids can boost metabolism, helping you burn more calories and store less fat.
- Reduces inflammation: Arthritis, gout, and other joint problems are all caused by inflammation. Vitamin C can reduce the level of inflammation in your body, so adding lime juice to water can relieve symptoms of arthritis and similar conditions that cause joint pain and stiffness.Limes can also reduce uric acid levels. Uric acid is a waste product the body produces when breaking down foods that contain purines, like meat, liver, mushrooms, and dried beans
LEMON:A rich source of vitamin C, lemon possess immense health benefits ranging from its antibacterial and antiviral properties to its immune boosting abilities.One of the most common ways to reap the health benefits of lemon is by juicing it. Lemon juice acts as a digestive and a detoxifying agent and helps in cleaning the liver leading to better digestive health. Lemon has similar benefits to LIME (listed above).APPLE CIDER VINEGAR:It is claimed to lead to all sorts of benefits, many of which are supported by science. This includes weight loss, reduced cholesterol, lower blood sugar levels and improved symptoms of diabetes. It is also an ancient folk remedy and has been used for various household and cooking purposes.
- high in acetic acid, with potent biological effects
- can kill many types of harmful bacteria. Vinegar can help kill pathogens, including bacteria. Vinegar has also been used as a food preservative, and studies show that it inhibits bacteria (like E. coli) from growing in food and spoiling it
- lowers blood sugar levels
- helps to lose weight and reduces belly fat
- improves heart health
All onions contain antioxidants, compounds that may prevent DNA damage by inhibiting the action of free radicals within the body. In addition to manganese, each serving of yellow onions provides small amounts of potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, copper, and phosphorus
Vitamins 1/2 cup of yellow onions provides trace amounts of vitamin B-6, folate, and vitamin A, it contains a high concentration of vitamin C. Each serving fulfills between 8 and 10 percent of the RDA of vitamin C.
- Add ginger, onion, garlic, chili peppers, lemon, Lime, turmeric, and cayenne into a mason jar.
- Pour apple cider vinegar in the jar until all the ingredients are fully covered and the vinegar reaches the top of the jar. You want to be sure all the ingredients are covered to prevent spoilage.
- Use a piece of natural parchment paper under the lid to keep the vinegar from touching the metal, or use a plastic lid if you have one.
- Shake jar to combine all the ingredients and store in a dark, cool place for 4-6 weeks, remembering to shake the jar a few seconds every day.
- Store from 1- 8 weeks ( the longer you store it the stronger the potency and taste), use a mesh strainer or cheesecloth to strain out the solids, pouring the vinegar into a clean jar. Be sure to squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can. This stuff is liquid gold
- Add honey to the liquid and stir until incorporated. ( if you wish, for newbies this might help with the taste.
- Taste your fire cider and add more honey if needed until you reach your desired sweetness.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator or in a cold, dark place.
- Drink 1-2 Tablespoons when needed. I take a shot first thing in the morning/ after my workout, and before bed.
Set it into a cool, dark place and let the vinegar become infused with the ingredients for about a month. I do go really heavy on the Chili during the winter and only use ACV organic ( buy at life store in Norway). If it is your first time, I suggest you start small and dilute your ACV with 50 % water. I am going to store this for about 4 weeks, as I am running low on the one I made the last time, but I normally store for about 8 weeks.HOW TO USE TIPS:
- Take a shot (about 1-2 Tablespoons) straight up.
- Dilute the fire cider tonic with warm water or juice.
- Swap vinegar in a salad dressing for fire cider
- Drizzle over steamed veggies.
- Use as a marinade for meat, etc.
- Use as a hangover cure. ( not for me LOL)
Hope you give it a try, or if you already have please feel free to share your experience.Love & Light :*Nafsibotanical