Having dry skin can both be uncomfortable, and make you feel insecure about your appearance. Typically, dry skin will show up as red rough itchy patches and all the areas of the body can be affected. If you do not treat or look after your dry skin, it will worsen, possibly leading to fissures and cracks.
Factors that trigger dry skin can be genetic, but it also comes with aging, nutrient deficiencies, being exposed to harsh weather conditions, and medical conditions such as thyroid disease. However, the way you go about your daily beauty regime can also make your dry skin worse such as using harsh soaps to wash, harsh sanitizing and cleansing products, and scrubbing of the skin.
Taking care of your dry skin when washing:
It is essential to look after dry skin because excessively dry skin often leads to dermatitis. The biggest thing to keep in mind when caring for your dry skin is a product’s ingredients. You will need to learn about which chemicals and properties contain drying ingredients and avoid these. The best kinds of creams and cleansers for dry skin are those that are milky based, adding more moisture into the skin.
Despite what you may have read in your beauty magazines, it is necessary to exfoliate when you have dry skin. Dry skin often looks dull in appearance due to the slowing down of the cell renewal process or the dead skin sticking to the skin’s surface. Here are a few more tips to follow to help you care for your dry skin:
- Avoid having long hot showers as hot water strips the skin of all its essential natural oils. Hot steaming showers or baths cause the skin to dry out, so limit it to a 5-10 minute warm bath or shower each day.
- Use gentle body wash, shower gels, or cleansers that contain moisturizer. Always look out for mild soap
- Unscented cleansers, and if possible, soap-free.
- Moisturize your skin when it is moist. After showering, pat your skin dry leaving it a little damp. After this, immediately apply your moisturizer to help lock it into your skin.
What to Look for in a moisturizer for dry skin:
You do not have to go out and spend a fortune on a moisturizer for it to work, but also know that quality ingredients are not cheap. What you need to do is to read its label well and understand which ingredients it contains. Moisturizing ingredients that will benefit your dry skin include:
- Ceramides assist in helping your skin to retain water. Additionally, they help soothe dry skin which can often become flaky and itchy.
- Glycerin (vegetable) and dimethicone help draw water to your skin and keep it there.
- Hyaluronic acid helps your skin retain water.
- Lanolin assists in retaining water in your skin that was absorbed during bathing.
Beauty Regime for Dry Skin
- Exfoliate your skin using a gentle scrub. Massage your scrub into your skin using circular motions. Concentrate on the T-zone more to clean the debris buildup. Some scrubs may dry out your skin, even more, so make sure you rinse your face well.
- Cleanse your skin using a milk-based cleanser. Instead of wiping it away using a tissue, use cotton wool as it is less absorbent. Make sure you use a mild cleanser and rinse using lukewarm water. Gel-based cleansers tend to leave your skin dry. If you want to make a homemade cleaner, mix raw milk with a small amount of flour and cleanse.
- Hydrating masks are perfect for dry skin. Look for face masks containing humectants or emollient as these are strong hydrating properties. Making a homemade hydrating mask using half an avocado and one-quarter cup of honey left on the face for 5-10 minutes works well. Both avocados and honey are rich when it comes to moisturizing properties.
- Moisturize your skin frequently using a heavy moisturizer. After showering, apply your cream/oil/butter or lotion on damp skin.
- Massage your skin gently using warm facial oil one to two times a week to keep your skin nice and soft. A great natural oil to use on your face is avocado oil. Because it contains sterolins, the skin is left feeling soft and nourished. If you suffer from itchy skin due to its dryness, try including a few drops of olive oil in your lukewarm bathwater.
- Sun cream needs to be applied to your skin daily. It does not matter whether there is a sun or not, there are always UV rays. Look for sun creams that have moisturizing properties such as coconut butter or Aloe Vera.
- Anti-aging products are a must for all women with dry skin. Women with drier skin tend to age quicker. At night, moisturize your face with a cream that contains vitamin E. Vitamin E replenishes and hydrates the skin at the same time.
Choosing the Right Make-up for Dry Skin
- Because your skin is dry already avoid all matte make-up. Instead, opt for products that are creamy and rich in oils.
- After finishing your daily skincare cleaning routine, apply your moisturizer and leave it to absorb for a couple of minutes. Applying foundation directly onto dry skin will cause your make-up to flake off. Moisturizer will help you in applying your base make-up and getting an even blend. Look for moisturizers with SPF properties so you do not have to apply two creams.
- Like with a foundation, it’s best to choose cream-based eye products to apply to the eyes, or shadows that are soft and sheer.
Thank you for stopping by, I hope that this read was helpful to you, and please, share, like and comment. Your support is greatly appreciated. xx
Love & Light